Seventy Eight sleepy-eyed Snow Bonanza participants rose early on the morning of Friday the 15th and were greeted by a mean and sleety sky in Monaco and Antibes. At 0700 with the buses fully loaded and heading into the clouds breakfast was served. The hot coffee, orange juice, croissants, fruit and pain au chocolate warmed bellies and in no time, all thoughts of bed had vanished. Inspirational ski and snowboarding dvd’s provided entertainment and the band of merry snow-goers continued upwards towards Auron.
Not far from the destination; and as profusely promised by Ulf Sydbeck and his team, the clouds parted and the dazzling white and sunlit slopes appeared.
Indeed it was snowing in Antibes and we had stumbled upon blue-skies and summer in the Alpes!
On arrival, ski-passes were doled out, rental equipment was fitted and everybody made for the hills. The morning was spent carving it up in pristine conditions and with never a queue for the lifts. As lunch time approached, the ski-park was where the action was and with our professional photographer ready to capture “BIG AIR” the gloves came off!
Lunch would be held at “La Bergerie” and as 12 o’clock arrived so did the Bonanzees with their appetites and thirsts worked up to a frenzy! Working through rosé, farmers platter and leg of lamb was the order of the hour and was taken seriously by all.
Ulf thanked the fantastic sponsors who had made the day possible and with a quick toast of Génépi, a little coffee and dessert our parallel slalom course was declared open!
Racing head to head in various states of disarray and stage of undress/dress-up the participants hurtled down the course and were met by huge cheers and a Génépi suprise at the final gate. After numerous races, the afternoon continued with more skiing and ski-park action until it was time for prize-giving and après-ski at the “Chalet Gourmande.”
Prizes went to:
- Elliot Cuttel received a PWC course from ZEPHYR YACHTING for “Best jump.”
- Ches Molloy on Hermitage received a €125.00 gift voucher from challunka/decathlon from STURGE INSURANCE for “Skiing while injured.”
- Jack on Odessa received a Kindle Fire HD from TOP COAT for “Slalom technique.”
- Berna-Lasoski from Rahal received a weekend in a mini-cooper S from ELITE RENTALS for “best eyebrows.”
- The crew from Odessa won a case of champagne from MONACO MARINE for “biggest turn out from one yacht.”
- Kiri Gall won a Magnum of rosé from DOVASTON CREW in Antibes for “bruises and tattoos!”
Back on the buses the atmosphere was jolly and the ride back smooth.
It was a fantastic day out, and enjoyed by all!